Re: Neanderthals' Noses Blow Scientists Away

Aurelius M. (cicero9@ix.netcom.com)
Sat, 12 Oct 1996 12:02:58 -0700

Magnus Sterky wrote:

> First, I am not in this profession. That said, I hope you would aplogize
> me for not knowing all facts said, written etc.
>
> Is there any evidence that the Neanderthals could/coud not breed with
> the cro magnon ?
>
> If they could, I assume the Neanderthals would be humans much like
> different types of dogs are still dogs?
>
> Comparing the situation with dogs (or horses, or herrings etc.) would
> tell that the local variation of skulls, bones, sizes etc, could easily
> be larger than the differeces between Neanderthals and Cro Magnon.
>
> OK,ok, horses and dogs are delibratly created different when it comes
> to size, shape etc. by humans. At least most of the variation, although
> not all of it. So, is it meaningful to define different species for
> different types able to breed?
>
> Maybe some of you, displaying a deeper knowledge about the Neanderthals
> vs. Cro Magnon, could fill in? Are there any DNA tests made, comparing
> the two for cross-breding capability?
>
> Isn't it most probable, if cross breeding could_ exist, that it actually
> happened, more or less, since they co-existed for quite a long time, and
> that certainly both of the types vere quite mobile?
>
> Further, if proof can not be found either way, isn't it sensible to
> assume the most probable solution?
>
> Through history, it seems as man has always favoured strangers of the
> other sex. The more isolated a civilisation, the more of this favouring.
> Even in semi-modern times, one typical example of this seems to be the
> Eskimo culture as reported by early explorers.
>
> Not to confuse the argumentation, this human tendency should not_ be
> intermixed with the suspicion between groups_ of individuals of the same
> sex being strangers to each other.
>
> --
> Magnus Sterky

In an excellent book "The TIME BEFORE History, Colin Tudge, believes
that Man and Chimp may be able to produce offspring. It would be
quite suprizing if Neanderthals and Moderns could not mate. Just
look around there are many in todays population that have
Neanderthal