Re: Neanderthals' Noses Blow Scientists Away

William Baird (wbaird@nmsu.edu)
4 Oct 1996 15:42:58 GMT

In article <Pine.SUN.3.95L.961004000529.11074B-100000@ciao.cc.columbia.edu> Ralph L Holloway <rlh2@columbia.edu> writes:
>I'd like to bite on this. How do you distinguish "mainly celtic groups"
>for "Germanic ones" using just the skull?

I know they've been doing it based on feet in the UK recently.
Previously, they had been going by the burial style for whether a person
was celtic or germanic. Someone noticed that the celtic feet were longer
and narrower (based on burials of teh time that appeared celtic in
culture and based on those prior to germanic invasions). With that in
hand, they've been able to tell more about individuals that were absorbed
either way into teh cultures...

IDK how you'd do it for skulls tho...

Will

>Ralph Holloway

Will Baird email: wbaird@neunet.com http://www.neunet.com/~wbaird/
Phantoms! Whenever I think I fully understand mankind's purpose on earth...
suddenly I see phantoms dancing in the shadows...[saying] pointly as words,
"What you know is nothing little man; what you have to learn, immense." - CD