Re: Neanderthals' Noses Blow Scientists Away

Nick Maclaren (nmm1@cus.cam.ac.uk)
3 Oct 1996 20:01:21 GMT

In article <3253E8FD.3597@livingston.net>,
Don Staples <dstaples@livingston.net> wrote:

>Species identification needs more precision than the limited factor of
>singular observations. I beleave that there are enough racial
>differences in modern man to allow destinction by race from skeletal
>structure, but all HS.

Yes, there are. It is trivial to separate most populations and often
easy to distinguish even individual skeletons. In fact, I am 90%
certain that you can separate mainly celtic groups from mainly
germanic ones on the basis of the skulls alone! The same is true for
many geographical variants of other mammals.

Nick Maclaren,
University of Cambridge Computer Laboratory,
New Museums Site, Pembroke Street, Cambridge CB2 3QG, England.
Email: nmm1@cam.ac.uk
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679