Re: Book suggestions about evolution of Mind/Hand?

T&B Schmal (schmal@firstnethou.com)
Fri, 09 Aug 1996 21:47:08 +0000

In article <4ug7nh$qs4@fu-berlin.de>, joeriben@zedat.fu-berlin.de
(Benjamin Joerissen) wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I'm interested in (newer) theories on the co-development of mind,
> speech and tool-utilization (free and exact use of hands), or so. Any
> suggestions? Thanks!
>
> Benjamin

Its old but solid and perfect for your question: Richard Leakey's "People
of the Lake." He says there that tool-making and abstract thinking (and
speaking) use the same processes. Thus we can follow the development of
the mind through pebble tools to hand axes to the artistic and beautiful
flint blades.

Tom Schmal
Character is repeated habits; and repeated habits
alone can reform character. - Swami Vivenananda