Re: terms

Morton M. Goldmacher (
Tue, 24 Sep 1996 15:26:36 GMT Back-Cunningham) wrote:

>In <> William ALBERT <>
>>what's the difference between schizoid and schizoaffective

> Schizoid implies being classified under the 'Diagnostic and
> Statistical Model - the infamous DSM' as schizophrenic -
> schizoaffective - would imply an 'affected' schizoid - someone
> who affected to appear that way - multi-personality - or
> multi-entity - in real life, generally in response to a
> certain situation that the original entity or personality was
> unable to handle - eg. small, wimpish person, has another
> side - Rambo - that comes out when he gets pressured or stressed
> in some way.

In psychiatry the words "affect" and "affective" refer to mood. The
disorder formerly called manic depression is now called bi-polar
affect disorder.

I believe both of the personality disorders in the original question
are set out in some detail in the DSM IV.

Morton M. Goldmacher
Barrister nad Solicitor