Re: An alternative to ST and AAT

Robert Gotschall (hobgot@sprintmail.com)
Mon, 28 Oct 1996 01:07:58 -0800

Phillip Bigelow wrote:

> Diarmid Murray wrote:
> >
> > Penguins?
>
> Apparently, you are repsonding to my statement that there are *no*
> examples of aquatic (or even semit-aquatic) animals (living or
> extinct) that are bipedal. <pb>

I agree, this argument is defiantly weak for AAT. It seems to me that
all birds are by definition bipedal, but easily the worst are the
aquatic ones. Walk like a duck? Charlie Chaplin based his comedy
routine on walking like a penguin, and loons and grebes are almost
incapable of walking at all. Again in a side light, a recent special
on sea otters pointed out that the California variety has nearly lost
the ability to walk on dry land at all, even as a quadruped.

Hob