Re: Hominid Altitudinal-Latitudinal Adaptations

John Waters (jdwaters@dircon.co.uk)
27 Oct 1996 19:43:30 GMT

Paul Crowley <Paul@crowleyp.demon.co.uk> wrote in article
<846261389snz@crowleyp.demon.co.uk>...
> In article <01bbc1e0$ba8a9520$1e2770c2@default>
> jdwaters@dircon.co.uk "John Waters" writes:
>
> > . . . four different climatic conditions. These
comprise a
> > reduction in average annual temperature, reduced
humidity,
> > seasonal changes and changes in day length. As a
result, four
> > simultanous genetic adaptations are required.
>
> I don't see how such adaptations are a problem
_once_there_is_a_
> _good_food_supply_. Peruvian Indians have "genetically"
adapted
> to high altitude in the last 6,000 years or so. That's
an eye-
> blink in evolutionary timescales.

JW: Okay, Paul. If there was the same food supply
altitudinally and latitudinally, which way would a specie
go? In the direction which required the fewest genetic
adaptations, or the direction which required the largest
number of genetic adaptations?