LUXEMBOURG: Shrines of Stone, Copper, Wood

Tony (olskool@ix.netcom.com)
4 Oct 1996 16:53:46 GMT

In <324D7CAD.4702@digit352.lu> Daniel SCHWALL
<daniel.schwall@digit352.lu> writes:

>I am heavily interested in this debate about letzebuerger's
>origins.... and please, would you elaborate a bit more on this
>wooden shrine thing?
>--

My friend, you must know that the shrines built and used by the
adherents of neo-Tuskualdism (the modern version of the ancient
Tuskualdunak religion) are generally made out of three distinct
materials:

1) Stone ("olnaak" in the paleo-Sakartveloi tongue, representing the
earth and temporal continuity.)

2) Copper ("tuskualdu", representing the Sun-God Tuskualdo, and
fire; other meanings are destruction, celestial continuity and the
"Azvondj" concept, the "sidereal forge" metaphor later borrowed
by some early Celtic tribes in their pagan rituals.)

3) Wood ("paath'" in paleo-Sakartveloi. Paath' refers to life and
is the result of the mixing of the two above inert "ingredients".
That is, the inert earth, warmed by the rays of the sun or
benevolence of the Sun-God, creates life, paath', through the
Azvondj.)

Sometimes hay (dried grass) is used in place of the wood, or along with
the wood, to represent life. Hay is called "alep".

Ritual determines what materials are used to build each specific part
of the shrine. Most shrines have from four to nine basic elements, or
"tikraa". The most complicated shrines include a simplified model of
the "Gh'Oang-at-Tuskualdi", the Heliotrope, which is a mystic and
crypto-scientific element in Tuskualdinak ritual.

I hope this answers at least some of your questions!

A. Gomez Muzcreidt
PIU