Re: Chimps and predators

H. M. Hubey (hubey@pegasus.montclair.edu)
13 Oct 1995 13:27:39 -0400

j#d#.moore@canrem.com (J. Moore) writes:

>HMH> Repeatedly, lions don't hang around forests, and chimps don't hang
>HMH> around the plains.

>Wrong, and wrong. Thank you for playing.

This is the kind of stuff that irritates me since I know that
we can get rid of this kind of useless argument.

See below.

>HMH> 1)Sorry but are chimps "open country" animals?

>Some chimps live in savannah woodlands.

Here we go again; "savannah woodlands".

Check out the Cambridge Encyclopedia. There's a numbering
scheme (already done and not by me). Along the abscissa is
the woodedness-grassiness of the habitat, and along the ordinate
is plotted the number of primates per unit area. It drops to
zero for grasslands. I hope you don't have anything against
the Cambridge Encyclopedia of Human Evolution published only
a few years ago.

First, there are already numerical schemes which can be used
to create and use equations and to avoid words like

"savannah", woodland-savannah, triple canopy forest, single
layer grass, tall-grass-brush savannah, mosaic savannah, blah blah....

Why is it so difficult to see that anyone can play this game, and
that's what it is the anti-AAT crowd is playing all the time.

Their case is no stronger and certainly weaker.

They don't even take into account what can be found in encylopedias.
They ask we read journals. If we find the same shit in them, then
it's on to more arguments using more verbiology. It's time to fess
up guys.

--

Regards, Mark
http://www.smns.montclair.edu/~hubey