Re: Refs, please... was... Re: AAT Theory

David L Burkhead (r3dlb1@dax.cc.uakron.edu)
10 Oct 1995 16:14:29 GMT

In article <hubey.813279166@pegasus.montclair.edu> hubey@pegasus.montclair.edu (H. M. Hubey) writes:
>hubey@pegasus.montclair.edu (H. M. Hubey) writes:
>

>>I'll get the exact quote and author when I get to the office.
>
>Here it is:
>
>"A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its
>opponents, but rather because its opponents die, and a new
>generation grows up that is familiar with it."
> Max Planck

More "scientific name dropping." Planck was wrong. He was proven
wrong by his _own_ new ideas. Planck was still very much alive when
Einstein took his idea of a constant relationship between frequency
and energy and expanded on it. He was still alive (as were many of
his peers) when it was adopted by others to become the basis of
quantum theory.

Frankly, if Planck ever _did_ say that (and I've never seen a
source for the original quote--that it was attributed to him, does not
mean that he actually _said_ it--I've seen enough misattributed quotes
to know that.) he was probably just having a bad day at the time.
Even geniuses have bad days you know.

David L. Burkhead
r3dlb1@dax.cc.uakron.edu
d.l.burk@ix.netcom.com

--
Spacecub - The Artemis Project - Artemis Magazine

Box 831
Akron, OH 44309-0831