Re: tree-climbing hominids

David Froehlich (eohippus@curly.cc.utexas.edu)
Tue, 10 Oct 1995 16:04:45 -0500

On 9 Oct 1995, H. M. Hubey wrote:

> We might be able to draw some smooth curve through these
> points and point in the direction of evolution.

I can't believe I am actually responding to this.

Evolution does not have a direction. Direction implies some idea of
where you are going and some implication that once started the
motion cannot be changed. Evolution is a random process of mutation and
selection. Just because an organism has gone so far in one direction
does not mean that you can extrpolate future developments.

David J. Froehlich Phone: 512-471-6088
Vertebrate Paleontology Laboratory Fax: 512-471-5973
J.J. Pickle Research Campus
The University of Texas, Austin, Texas 78712