Re: inevitable intelligence

H. M. Hubey (hubey@pegasus.montclair.edu)
19 Nov 1995 03:18:03 -0500

Lorenzo Love <lllove@snowcrest.net> writes:

>You don't need to travel anywhere. Ever hear of radio? SETI?
>It's dead quiet out there.

You got a point there. Has anyone done calculations as to
what kind of noise we'd expect of zillions of these civilizations
were all transmitting signals? Hm.. I never thought about
this before. What wavelengths would be used?

Finally, we've never actually picked up our own signals light
years away. Maybe EM equations are not exact descriptions of
the phenomena. And besides that there's attenuation as the
wave keeps spreading. I'm not sure anything will be left
after traveling a few light years or else it would have
to be highly focused.

--

Regards, Mark
http://www.smns.montclair.edu/~hubey