Re: Aquatic Ape: Titanic Effect

5121 Student 09 (cm315c09@nova.umd.edu)
1 May 1994 07:43:02 -0400

NICHOLLS PHILIP A <pn8886@thor.albany.edu> wrote:
>David Greene (cm315c09@nova.umd.edu) writes in response to
>J. Moore <j#d#.moore@canrem.com>:
>
>>> People just don't want to do the work needed to make sense of human
>>> evolution (you need to do quite a lot of research not only with bones,
>>> but also with primatology and cultural anthro). It's hard to do this,
>>> and folks just don't want to. The AAT, being made up (literally!) of
>>> bits of bull____, is a whole lot easier to read and argue for.
>
>> I believe the word you're looking for is "figuratively". Don't you
>> just hate that people won't do the hard work and research needed to
>> understand grammar?
>
>There is an unwritten rule on the nets about responses that tend to
>focus on spelling, grammar and punctuation. The assumption is that
>you are running out of things to say and that such responses will
>come back to haunt you.

Ooooo, well before you come and haunt me, maybe you should read
that whole thing again. Perhaps it was too subtle for you. My
point (for your personal edification) is that this person was
using that arguement that people (in general) are lazy. I can
(and did) use his one post to make the same arguement (equally
ineffectively).

>>> As only one example, we see the recent posts in which Mr. Greene
>>> argued that the waters are so safe and comforting, away from
>>> predators, even though even a moments real thought would've made him
>>> think of crocidiles (still common killers of modern humans in both
>>> fresh and salt water) and of >course sharks, which kill so well and
>>> so often even in very shallow >coastal waters.
>
>> Yea, I only needed a moments *real* thought to make the HUGE mental
>> leap from learning that such a communittee [sic] exists today to
>> realizing that such a communittee [sic] might have existed before.
>> Duhh!
>
>Look before you make such leaps. There is a tremendous difference
>between a "communittee" of modern humans with language and culture
>and a "communittee" of proto-hominids, with neither.

I did look. What I found was people saying that AAT is
*SO* stupid and outrageous that only the simple minded would
consider it. I am >not< saying this is proof that it happened.
I am just pointing out that it is not beyond the scope of
reason.

>>> Only by ignoring the obvious can the AAT proponents do
>>> this sort of thing, but, believe me, many many people, even among
>>> academics, make an art of ignoring the obvious.
>
>> Look in the mirror buddy.
>
>Gee, that ranks right up there with "Oh YEAH!" and "Says YOU!"

I agree. Fight fire with fire, I say.

>Modern humans are also able to go out to the African savannah fully
>protected from predators

Put a group of modern humans on the savannah with no clothes and
no weapons and see how well they fare. Now put a group of modern
humans on the beach with no clothes and see how they fare. Oh,
right that happens every day of the year. Well, let's forget
about that because modern humans aren't proto-hominids.

for the same reason your favorite group of
>swimming humans doesn't have to worry about watery predation. The
>obvious point that you continue to miss (most likely because you leap
>over them when you jump to conclusions) is that proto-hominids are
>not modern humans.

What you call jumping to conclusion I call inquiry. I never claimed
that my ideas are correct or that they are the only possible
interpretation of the available evidence. I'm just curious by
nature.

David Greene
cm315c09@nova.umd.edu