Re: Homo heidelbergensis

Stanley Friesen (sarima@netcom.com)
Sun, 5 Jun 1994 04:03:40 GMT

In article <2sh6l2$j8d@charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>,
Sharon A Palmer <sapalmer@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> wrote:
>In article <memo.245931@cix.compulink.co.uk>,
>Ken Brown <rkjb@cix.compulink.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>sarima@netcom.com (Stanley Friesen) wrote:
>>
>>> (The longest that
>>> purely cultural factors have been able to keep two con-specific
>>> population seperate is about 2500 years in the case of the Jews,
>>> and that is an extremely unusal case).
>
>I have read that the Tasmanians were separated from all others for
>10 thousand years. This was a small population, on an island, but
>they were not a separate species.

Yes, but that was seperation by *physical* factors.

The issue at hand is non-physical factors, as the nenderthals
and "fully" modern humans coexisted in the mid-east with *no*
physical barriers keeping them apart. (Note, it is not the
coexistance of European neanderthals with African and Asian
moderns that is critical - that could be geographic variation,
even though it covered over twice as long as the mid-eastern
overlap; what is critical is the *close* *proximity* of the
mid-eastern sites to one another).

>I am not saying that it is true, but I am also attracted to this idea.
>Many Northern European types are very robust. Large bones, big chest.

Those are adaptive characters relating to survival in cold
climates. They say nothing about long term ancestry.

--
NAMES: sarima@netcom.com swf@ElSegundoCA.ncr.com

May the peace of God be with you.