Re: Homo heidelbergensis

Stanley Friesen (
Sun, 5 Jun 1994 04:03:40 GMT

In article <2sh6l2$>,
Sharon A Palmer <> wrote:
>In article <>,
>Ken Brown <> wrote:
>> (Stanley Friesen) wrote:
>>> (The longest that
>>> purely cultural factors have been able to keep two con-specific
>>> population seperate is about 2500 years in the case of the Jews,
>>> and that is an extremely unusal case).
>I have read that the Tasmanians were separated from all others for
>10 thousand years. This was a small population, on an island, but
>they were not a separate species.

Yes, but that was seperation by *physical* factors.

The issue at hand is non-physical factors, as the nenderthals
and "fully" modern humans coexisted in the mid-east with *no*
physical barriers keeping them apart. (Note, it is not the
coexistance of European neanderthals with African and Asian
moderns that is critical - that could be geographic variation,
even though it covered over twice as long as the mid-eastern
overlap; what is critical is the *close* *proximity* of the
mid-eastern sites to one another).
>I am not saying that it is true, but I am also attracted to this idea.
>Many Northern European types are very robust. Large bones, big chest.

Those are adaptive characters relating to survival in cold
climates. They say nothing about long term ancestry.

May the peace of God be with you.