Re: AAH

david l burkhead (david8@dax.cc.uakron.edu)
15 Jul 1996 14:19:06 GMT

In article <31EA1A62.1FC@hgu.mrc.ac.uk> James Borrett <jamesb@hgu.mrc.ac.uk> writes:
>david l burkhead wrote:
> First off, you can't "prove" a negative. The
>> positive statement that humans _have_ an instinctual ability to swim
>> is the one that needs evidence.
>
>The statement that humans have no instinctive swimming abilities requires
>exactly the same quantity of supporting evidence as the opposite claim.

Incorrect. The negative would be, should be, taken as the
default--until and unless there is evidence to the contrary. Since
the nature of negatives is that their "evidence" is lack of evidence
for the opposite, positive, claim, they are inherantly impossible to
"prove." But they are very easy to disprove. All it takes is proving
the positive statement.

So where's that proof?

--
David L. Burkhead "If I had eight hours to cut down
david8@dax.cc.uakron.edu a tree, I'd spend seven sharpening