Re: Notice to Phil Nicholls...

Phil Nicholls (pnich@globalone.net)
Mon, 10 Jul 1995 13:38:29 GMT

bard@netcom.com (BARD) wrote:

>In article <3tonpk$6gd@news.globalone.net>,
>Phil Nicholls <pnich@globalone.net> wrote:
>>bard@netcom.com (BARD) wrote:

>>> Mr. Nicholls,
>>

>>> This upcoming Monday morning I will be in contact with your
>>> department head at SUNY Albany. I will email him a copy of your
>>> email note as well as the many others you have sent me over the past
>>> few months.
>>

>>> BARD
>>>

>>To all sci.anthropology.paleo and sci.anthropolgy readers:
>>
>>Please not NOT respond publically to this message. Respond via email
>>or mail a copy of this message to support@netcom.com.
>>

> Why...?

> Why are you telling people to not respond to my posts?!

> Why are you telling people to send messages to my
> provider...?

> What the hell is wrong with you, man?

The "sci" newsgroup heirarchy has been set aside for more or less
serious discussion of current scientific issues. In the case of
sci.anthropology.paleo the we want to discuss paleoanthropology and
human evolution.

It is not your personal flame pit.

It is not a place to post public threats.

It is not a place for adolescents seeking attention.

Please look at your message. Of what possible relevance is it to
paloanthropology? Why do you feel the need to communicate that
information via a news group?

>>Phil
>>==========================================================
>>Phil Nicholls "To ask a question you must first
>>pnich@globalone.net know most of the answer.
>>Semper Alouatta! - Robert Sheckley

> Ah, so you're no longer affiliated with SUNY Albany, is that
> it?

Is that what? Is that why I am asking people to ignore you? No.

> Still, we cannot help wondering about your mental stability...

Since you are now speaking of yourself in the plural I find it odd
that you are questioning my mental stablity.

> To post such an edict -- to a group of scientists no less --
> speaks volumes of your off-center view of the world.

I did not post an edict. I posted a request. I even said please. An
edict implies that I have some power to inforce that request. And
please excuse me if I don't see you as the center of the world and
only see you as an annoying child ( an observation confirmed by a
friend of mine at Netcom).

> You really do have a lot to learn, Mr. Nicholls.

No doubt about it. However, not from you.

> You are, of course, making a complete ass of yourself; something
> a person with your academic aspirations would be better off
> not doing (at least so publically).

The only thing I have done publically is ask people not to reply to
your off topic message to me.

You, on the other hand:

- are currently claiming to have seen an australopithecine.
- have threatened to call my department chair
- have threatened to sue me and SUNY
- have threatened to have your FATHER talk to my department chair.
- have flamed anyone who disagreed with you about anything.

In short, you are the one making a public spectacle of yourself.

> What I'm saying is, although the stupidity of your youth prevents you
> from seeing it, there is really no way you can emerge from our
> little tete-a-tete without getting egg on your stupid face.

On the contrary, my messages seem to have had the effect of causing
you to over react. It is your crediblity that suffers here, not mine.
If anything, by asking people not to waste bandwidth replying to your
little snit, I appear to be a voice of reason and calm.

> As a teacher, you stand before a classroom of vast numbers of students,
> for Pete's sake.

> Doesn't it concern you that many of them are on the net and may
> be following this thread?

Not at all. I have done nothing to be ashamed of. As a matter of
fact I have made some excellent contacts on this newsgroup due in no
small part to the pasting I gave you last time you were here.

> Believe me, if you continue I'll make you look like such a fool
> none of your colleagues will have any respect for (if any of them
> still do).

In order to make me look like a fool you would have to do something
you are not able to do. You would have to behave like an adult and
use logic and reason. You would have to provide evidence for the
silly claims you continue to make. Your messages would have to show
evidence of wit. As I said, not bloodly likely.

What you will try to do, if anything, is "flame" me. Flames may
impress your friends on those teenage BBS systems but they don't
impress folks around here.

> Need I point out to you that many of this group are quite distinguished
> in your field?
> How do you like the prospect of appearing before such a group to
> deliver a paper when all of a sudden everyone starts snicking upon
> hearing your name?

Again, it is not in your power to have that affect, so I am not
particularly worried.

> I repeat...

> Stop trying to censor me...

I am not censoring you.

Requesting folks not reply to an offtopic message is not censorship.
Asking them not to indulge you attempts to draw attention to your self
is not censorship. Post whatever you want. In public, I will ignore
you. I will request others to do so also, though I can force them to.

Tell me, Bard, if I am "making an ass of myself", if I look "stupid"
doing this, if I "look like a fool", why are you so concerned about my
requests that people ignore you, enough that you feel the need to
threaten me?

If you want respect on this newsgroup then stop acting like a child.