Re: Jeffrey H. Schwartz' theories today - still alive???

Ludvig Mortberg (Agneta.Guillemot@historia.umu.se)
9 Jul 1995 15:36:05 GMT

Good god, I only wanted to ask a question about Jeffrey H. Schwartz' theory and I
ended up in a quarrel like this:

ermiller@tezcat.com (Erin Miller) wrote:

>You really meant to say "I AM going to debate it here, and I'd like so ask
>if anyone else believes in it today. If not, I'm going to argue with you."
>And when you said "Has Schwartz or anyone else published any further
>evidence supporting or refuting the "orang connection" theory? " you
>really didn't want to be told that he had indeed further published on the
>subject, you only wanted to be told "yes despite the brilliance of his
>arguments and the continual publication of his theory, the scientific
>community still scoffs in his face and will one day regret their words."

On the contrary, I'm very interested in new evidence con or pro the orang/human
theory, and also in what people think about it. I got your opinion and I'm waiting
for others.

>>I say, show me some good synapomorphies, morphology or molecules, linking
>>humans to african apes. And name the outgroup used in the comparison
>>please.

I couldn't resist asking the crucial question.

>>In Encyclopedia of human evolution and prehistory (a book edited by Ian
>>Tattersall, Eric Delson and John van Couvering) the author of the article on
>>Hominoidea says right out that "This [Homininae (the group supposed to
>>contain homo, pan and gorilla)] is a hard group to define, because it has so
>>few shared derived characters..." And yet the scientific community is so
>>certain that it is a monophyletic group that anyone merely suggesting
>>something else is ridiculous.

>To quote you earlier, I have no wish to debate this here. You obvously
>have your mind made up. You are welcome to interpret the data as you see fit.

>>Will this start off a thread?

>It is the end of one as far as I am concerned.

>-erin

This thread has degenerated somewhat. If you have some information about how
schwartz' theory is regarded today and indeed about the theory itself, please ignore
the quarrel between me and Erin and concentrate on the point at issue.

Ludde