Re: Could a. ramidus prove AAT?

Phil Nicholls (pn8886@csc.albany.edu)
7 Jan 1995 04:35:04 GMT

In article <3ek804$qce@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, Sir CPU <sircpu@aol.com> wrote:
>>I did track down the "Nature" article on a. ramidus, and while I did not
>>understand most of the "dental" sections (I need to brush up on my dental
>>anatomy knowledge) I did see that they didn't have enough evidence to
>>determine whether the a. ramidus was bipedal or not.
>
>-The position of the foramen magnum is consistant with a biped and this
>-is essentially the same kind of evidence Raymond Dart used originally.
>
>The exact quote from the Nature article was "The postcranial evidence
>available for ramidus is not definitive on the issue of locomotor patern"

>Where are you getting your information on the foramen magnuim?

The position of the foramen magnum would not be definitive because it
moves around somewhat. In younger rhesus monkeys it is located more
toward the front of the skull than in older rhesus monkeys.

>Could you post the reference?
>
>-What a monkey does when it is on the ground depends on what it does in
>-the trees. Arboreal quadrupeds are quadrupeds on the ground. Spider
>-monkeys, which are vertical climbers and suspensory feeders, will walk
>-bipedally when on the ground.

>I would be willing to bet big money that if a leopard was chasing a Spider
>monkey on the ground, it would not walk (run) bipedally.

Since leopards are not found in South America I don't think the spider
monkey has much to worry about. However, the don't spend a whole lot of
time on the ground. It's just that when they do the are very awkward
quadrupeds and walk bipedally.

--
Philip "Chris" Nicholls Department of Anthropology
Institute for Hydrohominoid Studies SUNY Albany