Re: What did AAT Supposedly eat?

Phil Nicholls (pn8886@csc.albany.edu)
7 Jan 1995 04:42:26 GMT

In article <3ek940$qfa@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, Sir CPU <sircpu@aol.com> wrote:
>Phillip Below writes:
>
>-Hypothesizing what "AAT" ate is akin to building a hypothesis based on a
>-pre-existing hypothesis. It is pointless. We don't have any AAT fossils
>-prove that such an animal even exists, leave alone that it had specific
>diet requirements.
>
>Ahh.. but we do have AAT fossils and plenty of them. Lucy is a good one,
>there are numberous astraliopethicus fossils and plenty of early homonid
>fossils. There was even a new discovery of a. ramidus. Didn't you hear
>about that?

While far out in space, cosmic bunnies control our fate.

And of course there is exactly the same about of evidence for cosmic
bunnies as there is to support the proposition that Australopithecines
were aquatic.

>-If their logic is correct, there would be no evolutionary pressure for
>these
>-"poorly-equiped" aquatic apes to venture out onto the savannah. Why
>would
>-such a creature invade such an environmentally hostile niche? Yet, a
>host of
>-modern humans presently live on the savannahs, plains, taigas, tundras,
>-and deserts of the world.
>
>This is a crazy argument. You really think that because TODAY people can
>live on the tundra that it proves that early man was able to live on the
>tundra as well? Man was able to spread into other environmental niches
>ONLY
>after his TECHNOLOGY enabled him to. A naked man is actually very
>poorly suited for many environments unless his technology protects him.
>
>-The second problem with the aquatic ape "return to land" scenario, is
>-that we don't have a good idea how "aquatic" or "semi-aquatic" the animal
>-was in the first place. If the hominid was simply a sea-shore or
>lake-shore
>-dweller, who occassionally waded into the water to escape from predators
>or
>-to gather food, then we basically have a terrestrial hominid, not a
>-semi-aquatic hominid.
>
>Lets put it this way. Our early ancestors were "aquatic enough" to allow
>for all the aquatic tendencies that is manifested in our anatomy.

>Troy Kelley

Zero.

--
Philip "Chris" Nicholls Department of Anthropology
Institute for Hydrohominoid Studies SUNY Albany