Moderated Sci. Newsgroup? THE OLD FARTS CLUB

Ed Conrad (edconrad@prolog.net)
14 Dec 1996 14:34:25 GMT

profner@mulberry.com (Peter Rofner) wrote
to sci.archaeology:

>Dan Ull€n <dan.ullen@swipnet.se> wrote:

>>I just want make people aware that there is a moderated archaeology
>>group. Ed Conrad can be quite amusing at times, but I hate having to
>>wade through all of the speculations and paranoia here to get to the
>>good bits. So please, join me as I abandon this group for
>>sci.archaeology.moderated.
>>Doug Weller, please keep knocking the nutties on the head, you rather
>>seem to enjoy it, but do come over for a cup of tea at
>>sci.archaeology.moderated once in a while.
>>
>>Dan Ull€n
>>Stockholm
>>Sweden

>Bravo Dan!

>Yes, Ed and the other nuts can be very entertaining and have certainly
>brought life to sci.arch. However, once having our attention, the nuts
>fail to appease the appetite with intelligent discussion.

>See you in sci.archaeology.moderated
>Peter

===========================

Dan:
How long will it take you to realize there's considerable truth in
that old saying: ``The grass is always greener."

You can pack your bags and head to sci.archaeology.moderated
but don't think for a moment that you're going to be THAT happy.

I've been there -- for a look, since they won't let me in --
and it reminded me of a bunch of old farts sitting around
the reading room at the Old Men's Club around 5
in the afternoon.

Science, if you really want to know, was never intended to
be stuffy and stagnant. It's supposed to be be exciting, invigorating,
laden with controversy and definitely full of pep.

It's for people who THINK young, even though some may have
a foot in the grave.

Science, meanwhile, isn't the place for people who hate
controversy, especially if they believe that the only right
answers are their's.

Sure, I've been ruffling a lot of feathers and pissing people off.
But that's only because various scientific disciplines -- especially,
anthropology (Who we really area and how we got here?) -- had
reached the point of total stagnation and dishonest decay.

All I've been doing, Dan, is put some of the the vim and vinegar --
honest investigation -- back into science, which is something that
has been too long overdue.