Re: Yumpin' Yiminy! Conrad and Holden are taking over!

Robert S. Carlsen (rcarlsen@macconnect.com)
Sat, 14 Dec 1996 09:09:29 -0700

Anyone who has worked in museums knows how common it is to be offered
total crap for sale, for study, for loan, etcetera. In many cases this
junk is offered by well meaning individuals who in good faith somehow
pride themselves on having an angle on THE TRUTH. Easier than saying "your
Mayan codex is really a ridiculous fraud" or "your skull as old a coal is
really just common rock" is to simply ignore the stuff. This is
particularly easy to do when the crap is mailed to the museum, although I
do suggest returning the goods to the would-be philanthropist.

Robert S. Carlsen
Department of Anthropology
University of Colorado

In article <hegeman-1412960318490001@ts3-68.slip.uwo.ca>,
hegeman@wchat.on.ca (Toby Cockcroft) wrote:

> In article <58rnv3$6rl@news.ptd.net>, edconrad@prolog.net (Ed Conrad) wrote:
> ~~~~~~~~~~
> >
> >Ho! Ho! Ho!
> >
> >Not just funny but rather hilarious, Ben, was the time your University
> >of California/Berkeley sent a notarized letter informing me that the
> >package of four specimens that I, in good faith, had sent its Museum
> >of Paleontology for testing NEVER arrived.
> >
> >Was that a fried or scrambled egg on its face when an inspection of
> >records inside the Berkeley Post Office, by postal officials, resulted
> >in the discovery of evidence -- a signed receipt -- that the package
> >indeed had been delivered and signed for by a member of its staff?.

No Ed, it was neither. Rather it was just the museum's way of declaring
that you are a walking amateur hour.