Re: Polar Bear Challenge for AAH opponents

Phillip Bigelow (n8010095@henson.cc.wwu.edu)
Wed, 28 Dec 1994 18:04:24 GMT

patdooley@aol.com (Pat Dooley) writes:

>I note that you actually had no comment to make on the performance
>of Japanese and Korean diving women.

Would you say that Japanese and Korean diving women are typical of our
species? In zoology, species are described in their _typical_ habitat.
99.999% percent of modern Homo sapiens could not tolerate the work that
Japanese and Korean diving women do. The !Kung people of the savannah and
the sub-desert regions of Africa can tolerate a greater amount of heat and
sun before they develop heat stroke, but they constitute only 0.0001% of the
Homo sapiens species. The best way to look at the hypothermia issue is to
look at what happens to _average_ people who suddenly find themselves in the
water. Hypothermia develops quite rapidly in people who were in the water
from ships that sink. Those are the people to study. If I wanted to study
how the average human walks, I wouldn't study a marathon runner. It would
skew the data.
<pb>