Re: Waking up covered in dew

Paul Crowley (Paul@crowleyp.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 14 Aug 96 13:40:21 GMT

In article <susansfDvzwtK.BBM@netcom.com>
susansf@netcom.com "Susan S. Chin" writes:

> If protection from dew is a function of fur, and this dew is a problem,
> how do we know pre-erectus hominids were not hairy? Would the hair have
> functioned as fur would? I don't know, does anyone?

The point is that at some point hominids began using animal skins
as clothing and/or covering at night. From then on they did not
need to re-grow their hair (although my own Celtic ancestors made
a pretty good attempt). So _prior_to_the_adoption_of_"clothing"_
there must have a long period ( >100 Kyr) of pure nakedness.
Date this period whenever you want, but during it dew would have
been a problem if they slept where it occurs.

I suggest that our ancestors (not necessarily all co-existing
hominids) did *not* inhabit such locations during that period.

Paul.