Re: Waking up covered in dew

Roy V. Hughson (
14 Aug 1996 21:06:33 GMT

On Aug 14, 1996 13:40:21 in article <Re: Waking up covered in dew>, 'Paul
Crowley <>' wrote:

>From: Paul Crowley <>
>Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
>Subject: Re: Waking up covered in dew
>Date: Wed, 14 Aug 96 13:40:21 GMT
>In article <>
> "Susan S. Chin" writes:
>> If protection from dew is a function of fur, and this dew is a problem,

>> how do we know pre-erectus hominids were not hairy? Would the hair have

>> functioned as fur would? I don't know, does anyone?
>The point is that at some point hominids began using animal skins
>as clothing and/or covering at night. From then on they did not
>need to re-grow their hair (although my own Celtic ancestors made
>a pretty good attempt). So _prior_to_the_adoption_of_"clothing"_
>there must have a long period ( >100 Kyr) of pure nakedness.
>Date this period whenever you want, but during it dew would have
>been a problem if they slept where it occurs.
>I suggest that our ancestors (not necessarily all co-existing
>hominids) did *not* inhabit such locations during that period.

Dew forms on objects that are cooler than the dewpoint. Since humans, like
all other mammals, maintain a relatively high internal temperature, it is
difficult to imagine a situation where the skin temperature would be below
the dewpoint.
Dew might form on a corpse, but not on a living person.