Re: Bipedalism and theorizing... was Re: Morgan and creationists

Elaine Morgan (elaine@desco.demon.co.uk)
Sat, 10 Aug 1996 23:51:36 GMT

In article <31FAE465.7E16@dircon.co.uk> jdwaters@dircon.co.uk wrote...

> herwin@mason2.gmu.edu (HARRY R. ERWIN) wrote:
>
> >And completely untestable without much better material than we have. I
> >suspect body hair reduction occured with the emergence of H. erectus.
>
> Gerrit wrote:
>
> >That's what I suspect too,assuming that the reduction of bodyhair is
> >related to thermoregulation

Newman and others make the case that body hair reduction must have
occurred while the hominids were still in the woods and the sweating
followed later, on the savanna, necessitated becuse they were the
only ones there without a protective coat of fur. That kind of makes
sense to me.

Elaine