Re: Dissecting the Aquatic Ape: Bipedalism

Leonard Timmons (ltimmons@acsatlanta.com)
Thu, 01 Aug 1996 12:57:56 -0400

Richard Foy wrote:

> In article <4to2ss$kj9@portal.gmu.edu>,
> HARRY R. ERWIN <herwin@mason2.gmu.edu> wrote:<cut>
> >Yes, but fitness is relative, and if there are other groups in the area
> >that don't lose as many prime males, you're history.<cut>
> If the loss of prime violent males results in control of more
> territory they it could be genetically beneficial.

I did not make clear that in my statement above, that this
strangulation technique would most often be used against menbers
of other groups. From what I know of chimp behavior, one group
usually destroys another by finding individual members who
happen to be alone and at some distance from help. Those individuals
are then attacked by a group and gravely injured or killed.

This process continues until the second group no longer exists.
Once strangulation is learned by one group, a single individual
can use strangulation and the normal technique of waiting to
find a hapless individual from the other group to decimate the
entire group.

New groups would then be created when the original group splits
and this process would continue. I believe that Ms. Goodall
describes this process for chimpanzees.

-leonard