Re: Dissecting the Aquatic Ape: Bipedalism

Richard Foy (rfoy@netcom.com)
Thu, 1 Aug 1996 13:22:45 GMT

In article <4to2ss$kj9@portal.gmu.edu>,
HARRY R. ERWIN <herwin@mason2.gmu.edu> wrote:
>: >
>: >Oh yes, except that we have evidence for very slow cultural change until
>: >about 110 KYr BP.
>
>: Isn't this evidence related to stone tools?
>
>They've gone quite a bit beyond that. Leslie Aiello (and colleagues) have a
>paper coming out soon.

I would be interested in hearing more about this.

>: >
>: >Fitness is defined in relative terms. If the interpersonal behavior
>: >within a specific group became deadly, the group would disappear.
>
>: Not if the deadlyness only wiped out a subset of the males. Is not
>: this the result of the Yanamomo culture. They apparrently have not
>: disappeared, and if they do disapper it will not be a result of there
>: intraculural behavior but rather from the results of an external
>: culture with a greater capacity for violence.
>
>Yes, but fitness is relative, and if there are other groups in the area
>that don't lose as many prime males, you're history.

Your logic escapes me. The number of people in the next generation is
not determined by how many prime males there are in a population, but
rather how many females there are who can have adaquete resouces for
themselves and their children.

If the loss of prime violent males results in control of more
territory they it could be genetically beneficial.

--
Western Kundali; Chakra 1 awakening,
"Greed is good." -- Michael Douglas in Wall Street

URL http://www.he.tdl.com/~hfanoe/index.html