Re: Refs, please... was... Re: AAT Theory

Phil Nicholls (pnich@globalone.net)
Wed, 11 Oct 1995 17:47:02 GMT

hubey@pegasus.montclair.edu (H. M. Hubey) graced us with the following
words:

>hubey@pegasus.montclair.edu (H. M. Hubey) writes:

>>I'll get the exact quote and author when I get to the office.

>Here it is:

>"A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its
>opponents, but rather because its opponents die, and a new
>generation grows up that is familiar with it."
> Max Planck

>The SST'ers will go the way of dinosaurs, extinct!!!!
>All we have to do is wait and talk to the younger generation :-)..

If the SST is a reference to the "savannah theory" Ms. Morgan likes to
mention in her books I am afraid I have some bad news for your. There
is not, nor has there ever been, a "savannah theory." That hominids
occupied African savannahs is a fact, not a theory. Many
anthropologists have put forward a number of ideas as to how hominid
morphology may be a result of adaptation to savannahs. No one idea
is more widely accepted than the other. When evidence of early
hominids associated with forest environments emerged, no one took
exception to the idea that hominid morphology, specifically
bipedalism, might have arisen in the forest instead of the savannah.

The imporrtant thing to remember is that the "savannah theory" is a
creation of Morgans.

Phil Nicholls pnich@globalone.net
"To ask a question you must first know most of the answer"
-Robert Sheckley