Re: tools and blah

David Tiller (n9341623@WALDORF.CC.WWU.EDU)
Wed, 15 Mar 1995 09:48:05 -0800

tools since a more complete overall usage of the material takes place.
In fact micro-liths can be hafted into implements of wood and bone and
are easily replaced or modefied. I've seen cores where so many flakes
have been removed that they look like thin rounded bullets, a prenium
utilization of material. Achulian hand axes could be resharpened
but it seams that they were using only percussion flaking in their
creation and resharpening. This would undoubtedly use up a lot more
material than would presure flaking. As to Mousterian they seam to have
been both percusion flaked and presure flaked which would account for a
improvement in lithic utilization. Plus, I belive both archaic H. sapians
and Neandertalus where both using Mousterian tools. Both of these guys
had much larger brains in comparison to H. erectus.
One thing I just thought of was what about increasing population
densities as a factor in the increase of lithic utilization. The more
people their are might account for hoe much a person wants to conserve
materials that could be used up quikly in a larger population. Further
manipulation of the tools takes place ie: further brain growth and
usage. What do you think?