Re: Images of community

Thomas W. Rimkus (trimkus@COMP.UARK.EDU)
Mon, 13 Mar 1995 08:47:01 -0600

On Mon, 13 Mar 1995, John Mcreery wrote:

> I liken ANTHRO-L to a bar. Candice Bradley offers a senior common room.
> When I read Mike Leiber's tale of the con man who was almost thrown off
> the island on which he'd lived or many years, I thought to myself, "Anthro-
> L is nothing like that. There's a world of difference between exiling
> someone who has lived in a place for many years and someone who only
> enters a group electronically." In an earlier discussion SEEKER1 and I
> observed that while my image of "community" is a rural small town, a
> Norman Rockwell sort of place, his is an urban neighborhood
> . Others must
> have still other images in mind. Won't you please share them.
>
> John McCreery

I see one. It is an image of several old bucks quietly grazing in a fall
meadow, getting along quite well before they split up territory for the
winter rut. Along comes a young buck full of himself and youthful
vigor. Sticking his head high in air, he announces his arrival with
arrogance and pride. He prances and paws the ground. Slowly the older
bucks move toward him. They continue to graze, seemingly unaware of the
youths antics. Then without warning and quicker than the eye can catch,
the old bucks flash out with their hooves. A blow to the self important,
another to the arrogant, a swift kick to the aggressive. Soon, the newly
arrived is grazing quietly with the rest.

Maybe we are witnessing the compacted, high speed cyber-version of the
process which forms professionals?