john bishop (hcant001@HUEY.CSUN.EDU)
Mon, 26 Dec 1994 11:18:17 +0800

importaion of expensive equipment, not for getting the equipment back into
the US.
To get your equipment home, you have to register it by taking it
to a customs office (eg the airport) and having them certify your serial
numbers on their form - no big deal, and it helps a lot coming home.
Check with the country you are going to about carnet bonds. I
have used them when taking lots of film equipment. I have not bothered
when just taking still cameras, personal looking video cameras, etc. Some
places just write what you import into your passport, and you have to
show it when you leave.
John Bishop