Re: Life Duty Death

mark (
12 Sep 1995 20:06:39 -0500

In article <>, (Joseph Askew) wrote:
> In article <Pine.SUN.3.91.950909065738.15710A-100000@Ra.MsState.Edu> "Marty G. Price" <mprice@Ra.MsState.Edu> writes:
> >Mr. Askew: the former Soviet Union is in a state of ecological collapse.
> Really? They have some problems I will agree. But then the
> system that made these problems is dead. You claim that is
> not a great leap forward? Why?

What does your question have to do with the previous question? I have
heard that Lake Baikal is nearly collapsed, ecologically speaking. What's
going to try to bring it back?
> >In their bureaucratic foolishness, its previous leaders created
> >Chernopyl, leaking oil pipelines, open nuclear dumps,
> >lakes-turning-to-deserts, .... (you get the idea);
> And now this moronic evil system is gone. Thus the world
> is a better place. The factories that caused these problems
> are mostly closed down. Making the world a better place.
> Just what is your objection to my claim?

Duh. "Moronic evil"? May I point out Bhopal, India (you *do* remember a few
years ago, where Union Carbide, a US-based multinational, had a plant
blow up, and killed, oh, I think it was either 2000 or 5000 people, and
injured (with the cyanide gas) another 20,000 (and no, I ain't misplacing
decimal points)? How 'bout Love Canal? How about what we're going to
do with the nuclear waste from processing bombs, that's going to be
hot for 20,000 years?

Who's got a moronic evil system?
> >we in the West managed
> >to fish out the greatest reservoir of ocean fish on the planet (the Grand
> >Banks);
> No we haven't actually. It took many nations with many of
> the worst offenders being non-Western (the USSR for example)
> and of course we have not fished it out. Only depleted it
> so badly it is becoming pointless trying to fish them.
Sorry, but it's depleted so badly that the reproductive and habit
cycle is close to breaking. They very well may *not* come back, just like
the salmon in the northwest.

> >Twenty years ago, we in the *civilized* West probably hit the peak of our
> >consumption/waste cycle.
> So you claim. With what evidence I am not sure. None
> I imagine.

Sorry, it was on the news the other day...but I don't suppose you read
newspapers, or listen to the news on the radio.

Let's try this: what's your current salary (assuming you work)?

I figure that *real* money means figuring out what the current dollar is
worth compared to when I started working full-time, (pulls out rocking

So, what was your father making in the late sixties? Now take whatever
you're earning, and divide it by six, since the current dollar is worth
about 16.67% of the 1968 dollar.

Hmmmm? Still feeling well-to-do?
> >Signs, albeit modest, of scarcity of some items are visible,
> >just as signs of our economic instability (the increasing homeless
> >population, etc.) have become more visible. Some of these problems
> >signal transition in our economy, not necessarily a bad thing if we react
> >to them responsibly. Others, however, signal growing long-term problems.
> What evidence of what items? What instability? The homeless
> are a mental health problem. There is no evidence of any

Say *what*? Do you only believe right-wing media?
*sigh* I lve folks who believe the media, hook, line and sinker.