Re: Speciation - how do you know?

Paul Crowley (Paul@crowleyp.demon.co.uk)
Mon, 16 Sep 96 19:52:04 GMT

In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.960915202241.26289A-100000@lonestar.jpl.utsa.edu>
dsierra@lonestar.jpl.utsa.edu "David Sierra" writes:

> I seem to remember a traditional type of hunt, particularly in western
> Europe that involved "closing" with the animal in question, usually a
> large wild boar [very nasty animal], goading it into charging and
> "setting" a spear wereupon the creature in question would impale itself on the
> spear and die fighting.

Yes, but the nobles were on large, fast, horses. They had lances and
other weapons, such as crossbows. They were fairly safe unless they
dismounted. They could harry the boar until it was exhausted.

> Supposedly this was quite the thing to do for young medival gentlemen to
> do to prove their machoness (or stupidity!).

It was sport. It certainly wasn't for the food.

> I think a reasonably inteligent group of H.n. armed with similar spears
> (perhaps minus the crosspieces) would stand a very good chance against a
> large, ferocious, tusked, etc. creature.

I'm sure the gentlemen would not have risked it with a fragile wooden
spear. And attempting to do it all on foot would have been suicidal
even with weapons of medieval steel. In any case "standing a very good
chance" (which I don't accept) might be OK on occasion. It's not viable
as a regular way of life.

Paul.