Re: Creationists win the schools in New Mexico

Stephen F. Schaffner (sschaff@roc.SLAC.Stanford.EDU)
1 Sep 1996 04:54:37 GMT

In article <322768AD.1014@madison.tec.wi.us>,
George Cooper <gwc2406@madison.tec.wi.us> wrote:
>Bryant wrote:
>>
>> I want to make sure that this thread's readers are made aware that I
>> (accidentally) exaggerated the gravity of the situation in NM.
>> Creationism is *not* mandated by the new school board
>> guidelines--evolution has simply been removed as a requirement for
>> biology classes. The issue of creationism is "left open" to the
>> individual teachers.
>>
>> Bryant
>
>I don't see how any evolutionist could object to this. States should not
>mandate what shall be taught in a science classroom, right?

Of course they should. I don't want my local schools teaching basket-
weaving in chemistry class (of course, since I live in California,
there's no telling what the state will mandate).

>At
>least that's what you evolutionists argued for in Arkansas & Louisiana.

No it isn't. In Arkansas, at least, they argued against state-mandated
teaching of religion in a science classroom. I don't see how they
could possibly have won with the argument you suggest.

>Are you pro-choice or not?

Not.

[followups to t.o]

Steve Schaffner sschaff@slac.stanford.edu
Opinions expressed may be mine, and || Immediate assurance is an excellent sign
may not be those of SLAC, || of probable lack of insight into the
Stanford University, or the DOE. || topic. Josiah Royce