Re: DISCOVER/Neanderthal/Homo Sap.

Ethan Vishniac (ethan@grendel.as.utexas.edu)
22 Sep 1995 15:18:59 GMT

HARRY R. ERWIN <herwin@osf1.gmu.edu> wrote:

>Since a gradient in melanism is seen in Europe (freckling, BTW, is a
>melanistic trait maintained by populations in the south and transmitted
>by gene flow associated with sea trade), I suspect it is very sensitive
>to the exposure to sunlight, and relaxes to an equilibrium for a given
>area in less than 4000 years.

Another useful example is the Jewish population of Eastern Europe
(the Ashkenazim) whose ancestry is predominantly Eastern Mediterranean
(according to genetic studies) but who are frequently as pale
as their neighbors.

"Quis tamen tale studium, quo ad primam omnium rerum causam evehimur,
tamquam inutile aut contemnendum detractare ac deprimere ausit?"-Bridel

Ethan T. Vishniac
Dept. of Astronomy also Associate Professor of Astrophysiology
The University of Texas G.G. Simpson Hereditable Chair of Evilution
Austin, Texas, 78712 University of Ediacara
ethan@astro.as.utexas.edu `Knowledge, Wisdom, Beer'
http://grendel.as.utexas.edu/Welcome.html