Re: Cultural Takeoff Erectus VS. H. Sapiens

Vincent DeLuca (vincent1@ix.netcom.com)
12 Sep 1995 22:56:55 GMT

In <42oe6a$5hm@newsbf02.news.aol.com> nino180@aol.com (NINO180) writes:

>Marvin Harris writes in his book "OUR KIND" ;
>
>>"Hand axes and other bifacial cores manufactured by the 1.6
>million-year-old erectus at Koobi Fora, Kenya were still being made
>essentially unchanged by late erectus populations in Africa and
Eurasia
>300,000 years ago......Starting from a stone age base our own species
took
>fewer than 100,000 years to pass from a hunting, gathering mode of
life to
>today's hyperindustrial societies. That's a mere 8 percent of the time
our
>erectus ancestors had at their disposal."
>
>This boggles the mind if we consider where we may be a million years
from
>now (providing we make it that long) and keep up this pace. Any
theories
>or explanations out there as to why the big difference. Physical
>limitations in erectus brain make up?

Well, the chimpanzees are doing now exactly what they were
doing 3 million years ago and will be doing the same thing 3 million
years hence if they are still around. Of course it is the brain makeup!
Vincent1.