Re: Speciation - how do you know?

Paul Crowley (Paul@crowleyp.demon.co.uk)
Mon, 28 Oct 96 14:11:39 GMT

In article <54ucrk$1lj@news.ycc.yale.edu>
bdiebold@pantheon.yale.edu "Benjamin H. Diebold" writes:

> I just watched a few hours of video of mountain gorillas, filmed by one of
> our physical anthropologists who's been researching mountain gorillas for
> years and years. These male gorillas seem to do little BESIDES heavy
> chewing -- all day long they are breaking off fibrous plant stalks and
> leaves and munching them down, with occasional breaks for sleep, play,
> sex, and fighting.

This describes the daily life of innumerable animals which do little
else besides chewing. Why do you want the word "heavy" before the
"chewing". The diet of male gorillas appears to be mostly leaves,
rather than stalks. Female gorillas don't need such massive jaws
although they have an identical diet. The difference in jaw size
and structure has to come from some difference in role, or in
general morphology.

> In short, I don't believe the massive jaws of gorillas require further
> explanation. Except, of course, from the point of view of your theory,

Let's have a little more thought and a little less abuse.

Paul.