Re: Speciation - how do you know?

Phillip Bigelow (bh162@scn.org)
Mon, 14 Oct 1996 19:31:03 -0700

Paul Crowley wrote:

> In article <53irrf$jo2@dfw-ixnews6.ix.netcom.com>
> hobgot@ix.netcom.com(Robert "Robert Gotschall" writes:
>
> > You and many others have remarked on
> > how heavily built the Neanderthal people were. I can't but wonder if
> > all this musculature was necessary just to collect roots and berries.

Crowley answered:
> Do male gorillas have all that musculature just to gather leaves?

Oh Paul...Paul...
Why do you have this fixation on male anthropoids in your answer?

Crowley continues:
> IMHO Neanderthal musculature probably resulted from intra-species
> competition.
>If the weaponry was not particularly advanced
> (i.e. little in the way of throwing spears) combat would have
> been hand-to-hand, where muscles count.

Tell me, Paul... You are supposed to be the open-minded one, the
one who fights against male-centric interpretations regarding
hominid evolution. Now, you are tap-dancing over to male centric
thinking.
Tell us: Was the neanderthal female more stockily-built relative
to the Homo sapiens sapiens female? In your answer (read, "your
mindless
speculation"), please rationalize to us how this fits in with your
idea of intra-species competition.
<pb>