Re: Modern Neanderthals?

Robert Gotschall (hobgot@ix.netcom.com(Robert)
12 Oct 1996 12:25:17 GMT

In <Pine.SOL.3.95.961011213623.7648A-100000@taurus.cus.cam.ac.uk> Jane
Andrews <mja1002@cus.cam.ac.uk> writes:

>On 10 Oct 1996, HARRY R. ERWIN wrote:
>
>> Nick Maclaren (nmm1@cus.cam.ac.uk) wrote:
>>
>> : are we QUITE certain that we do not have some Neanderthal ancestry
>> : ourselves?
>>
>> I believe late intermediates are known in eastern Europe and western
Asia
>> but not in western Europe.
>>
>I'd be interested to know which to material you are refering here. I
know
>that in the past people have suggested that the Predmost material is
>transitional, but even a cursory glance at skulls from there shows
that
>they are fully modern (or at least as modern as any H.s.s. was in the
>Palaeolithic). Are there any more convincing examples?
>
>Jane Andrews.

Over the years I've read a lot of articles describing the great
differences between Neanderthal and modern skeletons, but have yet to
read a good statistical description. I'm not a mathematician but I'd
like to get a more objective description of the range, standard
deviation, etc. of modern human skeletal morphology as compared to
archaic forms. Can anyone give me a reference or a site for such a
description. It would help me follow this discussion. Appreciate it.
Thanks.

Hob