Re: Modern Neanderthals?

Thomas Clarke (clarke@acme.ucf.edu)
10 Oct 1996 19:15:28 GMT

In article <53ib9r$o90@lyra.csx.cam.ac.uk> nmm1@cus.cam.ac.uk (Nick Maclaren) writes:

>Not quite on this matter, has the vexed question of whether the
>Neanderthals died out or were bred out been settled yet? I.e.
>are we QUITE certain that we do not have some Neanderthal ancestry
>ourselves?

Along these lines, as a wild speculation, I might think I had some
neanderthal genes. I have very heavy bones, to the point that I have
a hard time swimming. Barely buoyant when I have put on a few
pounds, I positively sink if I have been dieting. Could this be
some distant neanderthal characteristic? My ancestors are northern
European.

Tom Clarke