Re: On predation.

H. M. Hubey (hubey@pegasus.montclair.edu)
28 Oct 1995 17:16:48 -0400

chris brochu <gator@mail.utexas.edu> writes:

>And incorrect. Check population statistics for alligators in North
>America. They breed at a high enough rate that they will spread quickly.

that's not the point. See my other post on croc infestation
in SAudi Arabia.

>Sorry, but this has happened.
OK. Now let me reverse the tables. Give me documented
evidence for a croc traveling over 20 miles of land. :-)..

>The big deal is this - you contend that aquatic predators will not spread
>if bodies of water are far enough apart. You do not know that this was

It's simple logic that it's easier to travel on land for predators
and on water for aquatic ones. Lions can't swim across 100 miles
of sea and crocs can't walk across 100 miles of savanna.
[use the sentences are statistical generalities.]

--

Regards, Mark
http://www.smns.montclair.edu/~hubey