Re: Why an Aquatic Ape?

H. M. Hubey (hubey@pegasus.montclair.edu)
22 Oct 1995 16:08:09 -0400

darwincr@laplaza.taos.nm.us (John C. McLoughlin) writes:

>I mean, what would these aquatic apes have eaten? Try to look around
>under water without a facemask. Try to catch a fish without a net, or a
>hook and line.

You can catch fish in the shallows without net or hook. Bears
catch salmon all the time; of course they might have a kind
of built in hooks called claws.

But then there's all kinds of shellfish.

And then we naturally have the corresponding problem for the
savannah. What did they eat there? Fruits? what fruits? Scavenging?
>From what lions, hyenas, dogs? They might have been able to beat
off a single cheetah or something but it's difficult anyway.

BTW, this reminds me of: What did the Neandertals eat during the
winter? did they scavenge or hunt?

--

Regards, Mark
http://www.smns.montclair.edu/~hubey