Re: Refs, please... was... Re: AAT Theory

David Froehlich (eohippus@curly.cc.utexas.edu)
Tue, 24 Oct 1995 15:20:11 -0500

On Mon, 23 Oct 1995, Paul Crowley wrote:

> > On Sun, 22 Oct 1995, Paul Crowley wrote:
> >
> > > Definitely the "evolution forces" error again
> >
> > Maybe we are speaking past each other, but evolution forces nothing,
> > environment forces everything.
>
> I'll probably have to call in Jim Moore, cos I don't think you'll
> take it from me. But the only thing a change in environment can
> force is the extinction of a local species.
Lots snipped

I still think we are talking past each other. By my reading of what you
have said, adaptation is impossible. Extinction is not the only response
to change, take a look at the finches in the Galapagos. It has been
demonstrated that changes in beak size mirror changes in the
environment. If you were correct then any change in the environment is
likely to make an organism go extinct. This doesn't happen.

David J. Froehlich Phone: 512-471-6088
Vertebrate Paleontology Laboratory Fax: 512-471-5973
J.J. Pickle Research Campus
The University of Texas, Austin, Texas 78712