Re: tree-climbing hominids

H. M. Hubey (hubey@pegasus.montclair.edu)
22 Oct 1995 02:13:31 -0400

chris brochu <gator@mail.utexas.edu> writes:

>Nope, nope, nope. A full rebuttal goes beyond the scope of
>sci.anthro.paleo, but perhaps I should ask: How do you define "higher up
>the evolutionary scale?"

Brain mass divided by body mass. On this scale bacteria and
viruses are zero. That puts us at the top.

The first appearance on earth, if we could ascertain it, would
be a reasonably good choice. But it would suffer from defects like
many/most mammals alive might have gone through some change
which can be found on the fossil records (i.e. morphological
changes) relatively recenty and hence would tend to rank up
there alongside of us but this would be illusionary.

--

Regards, Mark
http://www.smns.montclair.edu/~hubey