ape faces

Alex Duncan (aduncan@mail.utexas.edu)
20 Oct 1995 12:44:43 GMT

In article <hubey.814073190@pegasus.montclair.edu> "he who thinks horse's
knees bend backwards" (hwthkbb), hubey@pegasus.montclair.edu writes:

>What you write above is nice but I was thinking of even a bigger
>picture. The face gets shorter and shorter as the humanoids become
>more and more modern. Something similar occurs among apes.

Gosh HWTHKBB, I hate to bring this up, but if you'd done just a little
rudimentary "bone-gazing", you'd know that large bodied hominoids are
among the most prognathic of haplorhine primates. They are certainly
more prognathic than all but the most derived cercopithecoids, and far
more prognathic than gibbons as well. This trait was shared w/ A.
afarensis and A. aethiopicus.

Alex Duncan
Dept. of Anthropology
University of Texas at Austin