Re: Guide for anti-AATers

chris brochu (gator@mail.utexas.edu)
17 Oct 1995 16:12:33 GMT

In article <460i6v$po3@scotsman.ed.ac.uk> , jamesb@hgu.mrc.ac.uk writes:
> Examples incluse seals, marine crocs
>etc.. I will post some references when I have time....

Please do, since I have never seen a croc weep when upset. In fact, I
have never seen a croc weep. Period. And I have seen lots of upset
crocs. Furthermore, the last truly marine crocs became extinct in the
Pliocene, so I don't know how you gauge their crying ability, unless you
mean "saltwater croc." BTW, crocs regulate salt imbalance using glands
in their mouth, not tears.

The references we want should not only list relevant taxa, but HOW WE
KNOW they were "upset" when crying. I would also like to see evidence
that the physiological basis for crying in these taxa is similar, since
I've heard anecdotally that humans cry whenever facial muscles put the
proper amount of stress on the tear glands. Distress is one such time.

chris