Re: The Aquatic Adaptation of the Human Ear

David Froehlich (eohippus@curly.cc.utexas.edu)
Mon, 16 Oct 1995 16:07:17 -0500

On 16 Oct 1995 jamesb@hgu.mrc.ac.uk wrote:

> David Froehlich <eohippus@moe.cc.utexas.edu> wrote:
> >
> >References? Frankly I have never asked an elephant if it was emotionally
> >disturbed. For that matter, I haven't asked any marine mammals either.
> >How was this data collected? Who did it? What other animals did they
> >enquire of as to their emotional state?
> >

> The challenge here was for you to falsify the strongest argument for AAT.
> I'm not going to help

You are the one trying to convince me. I just asked for references to
your arguements. If there is data to back the statement up, I would like
to know who, where, and what methodology. You have provided no
supporting evidence and if you really wanted your contention to be taken
seriously, you have to provide more than a statement. What you have
asked for is the equivalent to evidence to falsify the contention that
hominids were bred in the gene labs of Opuichi IV.

> > does this mean that all primates evolved in an aquatic setting?
>
> All I'm saying here is that there was a limit as to how big our
> brains could grow until we started eating lots of fish. If this
> argument is defeated as well then you can consider at least a
> partial defeat for AAT.

By inference to other non-aquatic organisms, which do not have access to
Omega 3 fatty acids, yet still have large brains (elephants, chimps,
gorillas, any other primate you care to mention) this statement seems
unlikely. However, it is not outside the range of possibility. However,
by your contention we should observe smaller brains among humans with no
access to seafood. This does not occur as near as I can determine so
this is a basic falsification for your hypothesis. By the way, would you
please provide the references where Omega 3 fatty acids are linked to
brain growth and development.

David J. Froehlich Phone: 512-471-6088
Vertebrate Paleontology Laboratory Fax: 512-471-5973
J.J. Pickle Research Campus
The University of Texas, Austin, Texas 78712