Re: Hominid diversity or lack thereof...Re: First Family and AA

jamesb@hgu.mrc.ac.uk
16 Oct 1995 15:30:19 GMT

j#d#.moore@canrem.com (J. Moore) wrote:

>Ga> You've actually asked a very interesting question - why is Hominidae not
>Ga> more diverse? Unfortunately, none of the hypotheses we are arguing here
>Ga> addresses this issue.

Actually Elaine Morgan has addressed this issue in "The Descent Of Woman"
and it's valid even for a non-AAT scenario. She suggests that because
male humans are capable of the act of rape (which is rare in
mammals normally, orangutangs are another primate example) female sexual
preferences have much less effect on speciation.

James Borrett.