Re: post from Holloway

H. M. Hubey (hubey@pegasus.montclair.edu)
15 Oct 1995 15:59:20 -0400

pnich@globalone.net (Phil Nicholls) writes:

>variation. I have also read a number of Dr. Holloway's publications
>on human evolution, especially the evolution of the brain and
>language. If I were you I wouldn't try comparing vitae just yet.

Since Dr. Holloway has stayed out of it after his initial burst
I have no more to say to him or about him.

Time is the only real judge of one's scientific worth. If anyone
remembers Holloway's name (or mine for that matter) say a
hundred years from now (for any scientific reason), it will
be more important than the heat generated on these groups.

>I'll bet your students just love you.

I don't care. Some do, some don't. Next time you insult
people instead of sticking to the issues at hand you can
expect more of the same. It's simple tit-for-tat works.
It has already been modeled and simulated by researchers
at PARC. Don't do it.

>Unfortunately your positions on race (and apparently education) are
>not the product of a brave new world view, but a throwback to an older

1) My position on race is quite simple. There is such a word and
the definition of that word in the dictionary is more or less
correct.

2) Racism is not caused by race anymore than marriage causes
divorce. If "race" is banned (like some nitwits want) it won't
cure racism because the people who are racists are not that because
they think "race" is scientific. They'll just substitute another
word for it and keep going.

The race of your funny stuff is not important. Stick to the
issues. People who've known most about human behavior and
have been the best judges of character have been old and
illiterate. That says much for the fields who study human
behavior.

>"To ask a question you must first know most of the answer"
> -Robert Sheckley

Any third grader can ask questions. We want answers. In my
field I ask the questions and expect the students to compute
the answers. This fluff and flake can only be used by
people who think English literature is science. If physics/engineering
was a science like <some fields> the first woodpecker would
destroy civilization. Don't get too big for your britches and
attack people and you won't get similar responses.

I know what it's like to deal with pompous people who don't
even know what they don't know.

--

Regards, Mark
http://www.smns.montclair.edu/~hubey