Re: Body Hair Loss in Aquatic Mammals

H. M. Hubey (hubey@pegasus.montclair.edu)
15 Oct 1995 15:37:12 -0400

n8010095@cc.wwu.edu (Phillip Bigelow) writes:

> Animals that have lost body hair, reduce heat loss by DECREASING their
>surface area/volume ratio. (In other words, rounder bodies with respect to
>greater volume).

We often read things like "Humans in hot climates i.e. Kenya
are tall and lean whereas in the cold (such as the Eskimos) they
are short and squat/stubby because of <heat expulsion blah...>"

Just out of curiosity has anyone calculated the the changes
(whether they are beneficial or not) that would accrue from
being short or tall in these environments?

The reason I ask is quite simple. Pygmies are quite short.
Northern Chinese are tall, and southeast Asians like
Indochinese and even southern Chinese are short.

--

Regards, Mark
http://www.smns.montclair.edu/~hubey